Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Race Report: White Lake Sprint May 15, 2011

After the Azalea Sprint Triathlon in March, I competed in the White Lake Sprint in May. I was so jazzed for this race, since everyone has really talked up the beautiful swim. "The swim makes the race!," I had heard. I was so excited! With cool water temps, the race was wetsuit legal. Although I did practice wetsuit swimming in the channel, once the swim began, I freaked out! The wetsuit was up around my neck, and I was panicking before I hit the 200m buoy, and the race started with a 750m swim! I confess that thoughts of my post-race cheeseburger flew through my head (I only purchase a cheeseburger after a race), but I really settled down when I thought of the babies I am racing for. Slow and steady and I finished the swim. MAJOR victory considering I had to muster up post-panic energy for the 14mile bike and dreaded 5k run. But guess what- I did it. And I sprinted to the finish to madly enjoy the faces of my darling children and husband who are so proud of my efforts. I may never hit a podium- but what I lack in speed, I make up for in determination. That is what TriForAmani is all about, and my new mantra: PERSPECTIVE. Which is harder?- a triathlon or just the thought of the millions of children who need help? With your support, I am making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment